Love traveling, off-beat destinations, sampling regional cuisine, and exploring our planet’s natural riches? Then we have a lot in common.
I grew up taking road trips across North America and keep indulging in that, even during these Pandemic times (with care.) This site began as a way to help others go easy, travel well after honing that skill through decades of wanderlust. As travel opportunities grew, my mission expanded to traveling with respect, sustainably, and relishing unsung sites. I’ve backpacked around Sri Lanka, bused across Jordan and rode Japan’s railroads.
There’s nothing like a good challenge be it free-diving for California Dungeness Crab, overcoming vertigo on the longest zipline in North America, sampling molecular gastronomy at a five-star resort or communing with sharks in Fiji.
Some of my favorite people are fellow travelers and armchair travelers. We get each other. I hope you’ll stay in touch and keep returning to see what else has popped up on my travel radar. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome. Happy travels!
Elaine J. Masters
- Award-winning freelance travel writer, blogger and videographer.
- Society of Professional Journalists San Diego Chapter – Three First Place, Excellence in Journalism Awards for writing and video, Indie Excellence Award Best Audio, a NATJA Bronze Medal Award for Internet Luxury & Leisure Travel Writing, American Women in Radio and TV – Commendation Award for Radio Drama.
- Contributor to numerous online publications: Travel Awaits, Trivago, Hipmunk, Roam Right, Gayot Publications
- Featured as an SD Voyager Trailblazer and an interview on Travel Notes and Beyond.
- Over 150 shorts here. YouTube channel keeps growing with 100,000 views. The video stories are produced from adventures, events and memorable meals around the globe.
- Documentary celebrating twenty years of Wild Coast Ocean Preservation for Edible San Diego
- Society of Professional Journalists, First Place Short Feature Award: Biga and the Big Pig
Writing Samples Include:
- Excellence in Journalism Award, San Diego Press Club for History: South Pass City, the town that changed women’s rights forever – Roadtrippers Magazine
- Excellence in Journalism Award, San Diego Press Club for Investigative Reporting: Finfish Farming, Envisioning Aquaculture for San Diego – Edible Magazine
- Best Things to Do In Encinitas: Travel Awaits Contributor
- Explore Like a Local: The Oslo Sardine Bar in Seaport Village for Edible Communities
- Parks and Travel Magazine about exploring the Kumano Kodo region in Japan
- Interview about hiking Japan’s Kumano Kodo on Big Blend Radio
- Japan’s Pull – Food Wine Travel Magazine
- Six stops along the Suffragette’s Path in Wyoming – 52 Perfect Days
- Hope on the horizon for San Diego’s fishing community – Edible San Diego
- Wild ways and a farm stay in Northern Quebec Province – Podcast and article in National Park Traveling Magazine
- Hidden Balboa Park – One of a series for Travel Awaits as a regular contributor
- Where to live your diving dream – Luxury Living International Magazine
- Sustainable Opah’s turn on the plate – Edible San Diego Magazine
- Pear Schnapps and Jugged Deer, a night in Interlaken – FWT Magazine
- Travel World Magazine – Cross Country National Parks Road Trip
- Diving Lembeh Straits – Bronze Medal, NATJA
- Miles Geek magazine: Redwood Forest, misty hikes, unforgettable giants
- Tijuana Airport offers San Diegans’ a travel alternative
- Lanai, Hawaii – Why you should go now.
- Hoptails, Game On! – San Diego, Home & Garden
- Rice to the Occasion – Sake in San Diego, SD Home & Garden Magazine
- Power & Grace in Teotihuacan – We Said Go Travel
- Travel World magazine: Manatees, Mangroves and Maragogi, a family adventure in Brazil
- Dining Out Magazine Cover Story– The Bounty of Catalina
Experience: Online publications include Travel Awaits, Trivago, Hipmunk, Roam Right, Gayot Publications, San Diego Dining Out Magazine, and many guest posts. She’s currently a member of IFWTWA, the San Diego Travel Massive founder. Elaine became a certified Yoga Teacher while self-publishing Drivetime Yoga & Flytime Yoga books and audio.
Speaking and Teaching: Video Storytelling & Travel Yoga
Other life experiences Degrees in Interdisciplinary Arts from San Francisco State and Theater from Cornish Institute, plus work as a Radio Drama Producer at several SE Alaska and Oregon Public Radio Stations. Those experiences led to a National Commendation Award from American Women in Radio & TV.
Podcast: Associate producer on the Lowell Thomas Award-winning podcast, Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer. Previously Elaine was the founding host of the top ten podcast, The Gathering Road on the Women’s Radio Network, which included over 150 interviews with travel experts and expert travelers.
Drivetime Yoga and Flytime Yoga – books and audio help travelers get where they’re going feeling great:
“I found Drivetime Yoga not only informative and easy to understand but a great antidote for the stress of my daily patrol routine.” – Police Lt. & Author, Randy Sutton
“After talking with Elaine, and reading the Drivetime Yoga book, I can see where these stretches and breathing can even help when I’m riding the bus or sitting at a desk…So, if you haven’t checked out Drivetime Yoga, go take a look. It could just add some much-needed calmness and relaxation to your daily commute.” Becky Scott, Contributing Editor, AskPatty.com, Automotive Advice for Women.
“Flying for any length of time can leave travelers aching, but a few stretches during the journey might prevent the pain. Flytime Yoga is a booklet by author, speaker and yogi Elaine Masters, who provides safe, simple stretches for before, during and after the flight.” – John Vatner, Meetings & Conventions Magazine
“Thank you so much for introducing my Board of Directors to yoga. You did a great job and they loved it. They were still talking about at dinner that night. I look forward to working with you again.” Karen Fricke, Executive Director, Apartment Association Greater Inland Empire
Many thanks to the following fellow travelers who’ve helped to make Tripwellgal.com possible:
Many thanks to Mexican artist, Alejandra, for her generosity and delightful artwork for the Trip Wellness Banner and Logo.
Many thanks to Seattle artist, Jere Smith, for his fun and unique “Neocompostmodern Iconoclassism” perspective and especially for his artwork for the Drivetime Yoga book cover and illustrations.
Julie Garner, Physical Therapist/Ergonomic Consultant
Without Julie’s inspiration and support, Trip Wellness would never have taken off. Thank you doesn’t say it fully.
Dave Rudie, Photographer, Dive Buddy, Fishmonger